Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Edmonton Here I Am - First Week!

I'M IN CANADA! Well, being back on home soil feels nice, even if I had to pull an all-nighter and get on a bus at 2:30am to do so :P At the airport we met up with President and Sister Manion (the two other Canadians and I benefited immensely by not having to go through immigration).  Right after introductions Sister Manion asked me to go talk to a group of tourists from Toronto going to Alaska! Talk about being thrown into it! It was a really good experience though. After that we all went to a chapel and had some workshops on how to contact, things we need to know about driving the mission cars, and interviews with Pres. Manion. He and I have a lot in common! Then we ate a nice big dinner and had a little fireside. Ohhhh Elder Fregene (from Edmonton area, but lived in Toronto for a year) is serving here temporarily, so it was nice to see another friendly face. Elder Chacon Pablon from the Montreal area is also serving in the Edmonton mission. We ran into each other a few times at the MTC. 

The next day we were assigned our areas and trainers! I had to say goodbye to the companion of my heart, Sister Schatmeier. :( Butttt my trainerin the field is Sister Bahtishi. She graduated from film school before coming here and is a really great artist! She's super easy to get along with and is pretty hilarious! She's into pop culture and such and loves "Sailor Moon", which I can relate to very well, if you ever knew me as a child.... 

We serve together in the Kingsway - YSA ward, so it's definitely a starving ward (we don't get fed that often). Soooo if anyone has any easy, fast, minimal ingredient, cheap recipes they'd like to share, please feel free to do so! 

JM Morrison's younger brother is in my ward, so that's neat. Also, a Sister I met in the MTC, Sister Hudson, has a brother in this ward. It was her ward before her mission too! So that's also really cool! I'm looking forward to meeting more members as I serve diligently! 

We are working towards one investigator being baptized on the 12th of September, so that's pretty exciting! Marissa is preparing for baptism with us. It's neat to see her progress. I'm excited to continue working with her and getting to see more people work towards baptism! 

We are having a mission conference next week with Elder Golden from the first quorum of the Seventy and his wife. I'm excited to heed their advice. 

My P-day is now Tuesday, in case you didn't notice.. :P 

I have my iPad set up, so I can email off that and it's fantastic :D 

A scripture that's really inspired me this week is Proverbs 17:22 

"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken Spirit drieth the bones."

It's brought us some great stories and insights as we've discussed temporary happiness of the world, versus pure joy and how it only comes through living the commandments of the Lord. Being cheery and smiling and laughing is amazing for our bodies, minds, and spirits. It's no wonder we have the phrase "laughter is the best medicine"! 

Well that's all I have for the day! Love and cherish you and your support daily. 

Sister Baker  

Selfie from the ipad!

All of us newbies

Last roomate photooo :( But Sister Neal is currently in my district (the one with bangs) and it's sooo nice to still see her all the time!

​Ignore our extreme awkwardness.... and my giant mouth. Ran into a familiar face at tranfers meeting! (Andres Bernal served in Edmonton up until a few months ago. He was back visiting) 

No comments:

Post a Comment